Pediatric Associates of Richmond has been a pioneer in providing in-house breastfeeding support services. Our services include lactation consultation, assistance with breast pump rentals, purchase, and adjustments, and nursing bra fittings. The majority of first-time parents are unaware that most lactation services are covered by health insurance plans, and we help take care of insurance reimbursement.
Jan, Robin, Laura, Lauren, and Heather, our 5 International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (I.B.C.L.C.), have over 60 years of combined experience, and see patients at each of our locations. Because each I.B.C.L.C. is also a Nurse Practitioner you have the option of combining the lactation visit with your infant’s regularly scheduled check-ups or weight checks, saving you time and money.
We have 3 lactation rooms at our West End location, 1 at our Mechanicsville location, and 3 at our Short Pump location.
We offer breast pump rentals, sales, and adjustments. We are a certified Medela station and have accessories for Medela pumps. We are also able to perform nursing bra fittings.
Our Breastfeeding Support Services:
- Pre- and post-feeding weights for an accurate assessment of milk transfer
- Difficulties with latch
- Decreasing milk supply
- Feeding multiples (twins, etc.)
- Breastfeeding tongue-tied (ankyloglossia) infants ***can be clipped in-house by Dr. Mapp
- Feeding infants with special needs
- Feeding premature infants
- Extended pumping and maintaining milk supply
- Counseling regarding the impact of medications while nursing
- Sore nipples/painful latch
- Preparing for mom’s return to work
- Guidance on selecting the right pump for your specific needs
For more information on feeding your newborn, please read our Feeding Newborns page.