2017-2018 Flu Vaccine Information
It is time for flu vaccines again! Flu season is around the corner and it almost time to get your child’s annual flu vaccine. As we start getting shipments in, we will send out an email letting people know that they can call to schedule a shot appointment. You may also check our website for updates. As in the past several years, the Center for Disease Control recommends that all children get immunized against the flu. Because the flu strains change each year, it is necessary to get a flu vaccine every year to protect against the strains of the flu for the current year. Below are a few reminders about the flu vaccine.
- The flu vaccine is approved for 6 months and older.
- If it is your child’s first year getting the flu vaccine, he or she will need 2 doses of the flu vaccine at least 4 weeks apart.
- If your child has only received one dose of flu vaccine in his or her life and is 8 years old or younger, he or she will need 2 doses of the flu vaccine 4 weeks apart as well.
- The flu shot is approved for 6 months and older.
- Due to Flumist’s ineffectiveness the last 3 flu seasons, we will NOT be offering it as a flu vaccine option this year.
- Children with an egg allergy, even if anaphylactic, may now get the flu vaccine.
- For those children under 6 months of age or those who cannot receive a flu vaccine due to a medical condition or an allergy, it is recommended that the families and caregivers of those children are vaccinated for the current season so as to best protect the child.
For more information about flu vaccines read here.
For a copy of our flu vaccine consent/waiver form, click here.