2017-18 flu vaccines are in
Flu season is fast approaching. Beyond really good hand washing the best thing we can do to protect ourselves and our children is get our flu shots. P.A.R.’s first flu shot shipment has arrived and next week we will begin scheduling flu shot appointments. A few things to note about flu vaccines this year:
- The flu vaccine is approved for those 6 months and older.
- If it is your child’s first year getting the flu vaccine, he or she will need 2 doses of the flu vaccine at least 4 weeks apart.
- If your child is 8 years old or younger and has received 1 or fewer previous doses of flu vaccine, he or she will need 2 doses of the flu vaccine 4 weeks apart as well.
- Due to Flumist’s ineffectiveness in the recent past, we will NOT be offering it as a flu vaccine option again this year.
- Children with an egg allergy, even if the reaction is anaphylaxis, may now receive the flu vaccine.
- For those children under 6 months of age or those who cannot receive a flu vaccine due to a medical condition or an allergy, it is recommended that the families and caregivers of those children are vaccinated for the current season so as to best protect the child.
To schedule your child’s flu shot appointment please call (804) 282-4205 for available dates and times.